Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Outta my way, I'm heading to the Walmart!

What do you do when your ship makes an unscheduled stop at a tiny town in New Foundland, Canada? Why, you take a bus to the Walmart, of course! Yep, the highlight of today was our bus ride and subsequent visit to the Walmart. (Aunt Patty and Uncle Bob, I couldn't help but think of you guys and our late night trip to Walmart that time when I was in North Carolina looking at colleges.) And I can tell you for sure now that once you've seen one Walmart, you've seen 'em all. I did need a couple of hair clips since I broken mine while clipping them to things they weren't meant to be clipped to, so the stop was not only exciting, but functional as well. That was pretty much the extent of our day. When we arrived back onboard we managed to get a short nap in, then went to the sun deck to relax, read, and people watch. I was thrilled earlier to see a net over one of the pools onboard, thinking maybe we'd captured a stray dolphin somewhere and were bringing it to Florida with us, but no such luck. The pool was merely closed for maintenance (see picture below). Other pools were open today and believe it or not, there were a few old folks actually swimming. The sight reminds me of that scene in the movie 'Cocoon' when the old people find that pool of youth, or whatever it was, and helped themselves to a bath. Seriously, it looks just like that. The average age of these passengers is what's making people watching such a hoot. I kid you not when I say that Jim and I are the ONLY ones under 40, possibly under 50. Well, actually Jim is 44 so I guess I'm the only one under 40. We did attend a comedy show last night that was mildly entertaining. The comedian was a 30-something African-American guy who made quite a few jokes about trying to pass by old people in the narrow ship hallways, etc. Needless to say his jokes didn't go over real well with the older, all white crowd. I'm guessing tonight will be more of the same, relaxing and watching the 80 & 90 year olds. Until then, this has been the Ebbers, reporting live from the fountain of youth...

No comments:

Post a Comment